Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Christian Cross Acrylic Painting by Nancy Standlee

$90.00
10” x 8” 1 ½” profile Gallery Wrapped Canvas Acrylic on Canvas
This Christian Cross Painting has been a WIP (work in progress) from a class I took from a Canvas by Canvas member, Margie Whittington. Our instructions were to bring a design to class, ready to paint. I found a photo taken at my daughter’s of a wooden cross she had on the wall. I have a photo file of different styles of crosses but since this one is hers, it makes it more special to me. Acrylics tend to darken as they dry, and it seems this painting had become a little gloomy since it was first painted so I decided on this day of celebration I’d brighten up the painting. The collaborative art group I belong to has painted and sold several larger cross paintings made up of six 6” x 6” squares. The cross is one of the most ancient human symbols and this general shape is used by Christianity. Sometimes it is a representation of the world into 4 elements. For more information on the cross shape, go to Wiki.

No comments: