Monday, May 12, 2008

My Largest Plein Air Yet...30"x 48" oil by Larry Seiler


















Made a gallery wrap stretched canvas...30"x 48" with a real itch
to get a monkey off my back. The knowledge that a painter of
John Singer Sargent's day, and second in sales only to Sargent,
Edward Redfield...a Buck County Impressionist...would paint
50"x 56" canvases in the field alla prima...or start to finish in
one session. Painting from morning into late afternoon...and
did this well into his 80's....

The largest I had painted to date outdoors on location was
18"x 36"...

I borrowed a friend's Best Delux Lobo easel, more a studio
easel, yet portable enough, and collapses well enought to put
in the back of my truck.

I used Sash brushes (used for large murals) to paint in my main
masses and general values, then turned to larger flats to finish
off the work.

I'm the class advisor for juniors who had prom this weekend,
spent three nights in the gym with them till midnight preparing
decorations for the prom. I really needed to get away to paint
to find some respite, some sanctuary...but had little time.

This painting took 3-1/2 hours start to finish, then I was off and
running home to get ready for prom festivities to begin. I was
greatly relieved to really find this easier than I anticipated, and
those Sash brushes really made the difference I think.

the image is clickable, and reveals more correctly the color, the
values and brushwork. Thanks for lookin'!

And...if you visit my site- Painting From Life you'll see additional
pictures of my set up, the easel...brushes and so forth.

Larry

2 comments:

René PleinAir said...

I saw it on WC its HUGE!!
And not only as size.

I never thought it would be possible to paint that large plein air,
must be like top sport I guess.

When you ever sell it to somebody in Europe you can sail it across the big dip. :-P

Larry Seiler said...

sell...sell???

Hhmm...that's whats suppose to happen with these things, eh? hahaaa...

Thanks Rene...for the smile you provided...and comments! It was a fun piece to paint...