Monday, September 16, 2013

Still Life with Apricots by Diana Moses Botkin


On our place we have a couple of apricot trees and for the past few years, spring frosts have ruined any chance of fruit.

However, this year, there were a few branches on one tree that were not spoiled and we actually had some fruit. So I brought the harvest in the house and used a branch with apricots for this painting idea, along with a few crabapples and flowering mint from my garden.


As I blocked in the shapes (above), I saw that the many elements I'd included gave the piece a busier feeling than what I'd originally wanted.

So I changed my drape to shield the light a little. That way, more of the objects were in shadow, which gave those luscious apricots in the old amber glass bottle the spotlight.
 
(above) "Summer Gifts" Original oil, 9"x12" ©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

Please contact me if you would like to own this painting.

No comments: