Monday, October 19, 2009

Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini

"Gray & White," 4" square, commissioned portrait of a kitty, acrylic on canvasboard, private collection (THANK YOU!). Inquiries may always come to me.

If you haven't figured it out by now, one of my favorite things to do is exaggerate color. I really did see lavenders, blues, greens and violets in this kitty's fur - I'm just wired that way, I guess - and I love to saturate or intensify them when the opportunity presents itself. It's surprising how others, after commissioning a portrait, start to recognize those colors too.

A warm thanks goes to the Orion Art Center, who awarded an honorable mention to my painting of the black Cocker Spaniel Taylor (Demure, from two weeks ago) in the 5th Annual Southeaster Michigan Portrait Exhibition. This painting was another ripe example of enhanced color.

Thanks, as always, for looking at - and sharing - my artwork with your friends and family.
Kim

No comments: