Thursday, June 10, 2010

Grace, Almost FInished - Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini


Still untitled ("Grace's Throne"?), 18" x 24", Golden Open Acrylics on Ampersand Gessobord commissioned pet portrait of a chocolate lab and her very special chair, private collection (THANK YOU!). Inquiries (including booking your own pet portrait, from miniature size [4" x 4"] to larger than life) may always come to me.

I've been plugging away on Grace's painting this week. I find myself getting lost in the patterned chair, but then have to come back and put more color and detail in her face. After all, it's a portrait of Grace, not the wingback.

What do I think works most successfully in this painting right now? Grace oozes relaxation - that's inherant to the drawing/her body language and has nothing to do with the paint/color. But the paint and color aren't so shabby either. Still a little too harsh, but after I scumble some softer glazes overtop, all will be perfect.

Thanks, as always, for looking at - and sharing - my artwork and musings with your friends and family.
Kim

PS What am I going to say? Did you guess it? Go vote -http://www.dailypainters.com/blog/contest. I'm a mere 51 votes out of first place.

TWITTER: ksantini
SHOP ORIGINALS & LIMITED EDITION GICLEES: at my Etsy shop
ORDER CUSTOMIZED NOTECARDS & REPRODUCTIONS: at Imagekind
COMMISSION A PET PORTRAIT: contact me
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE: contact me
READING MATERIAL: Preview and order each of the Dog a Day books at the publisher's website: The First Year(2006-2007) and That's 14 in Dog Years(2008). If you would like your copy personalized, order them through me.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Blaylock said...

WONDERFUL PAINTING!